Thursday, January 27, 2011

Harnessing the power of collective funds! Motivator...

Listening intently to a largely experienced team of two yesterday evening I started to imagine that the road to the big time may be easy to follow after all, if only the trust between peers increased and the commitment between them also grew!

Yes savings and financial discipline may be good but is it enough? Or this is a nice situation for the bankers – just asking?

Quietly listening from my table, I heard words like long term planning – which I rarely did, I heard words like mutual funds, collective schemes and many others and thought about them deeply, it occurred to me that together with my fellow bar mates, we could actually collect our own funds into a big sack and jointly invest with government (PPP) in key infrastructure like toll roads, power generation and distribution ventures among others...

The power of collaboration to provide a means to an end, making it easier for us to think about bigger things, share bigger actionable dreams cannot be underestimated! If we started now who knows what ventures we would be joining in five years, who knows how powerful we could become... Tables can change in this part of the world – so let’s run... I started last year my friends, I only feel more excited today...

I learned that we have to learn continuously, be vigilant, study trends, understand the changing dynamics in the region and be extremely fast but most of all focus more on innovation of ideas and getting down to action when they are still burning hot!

Otherwise we face the risk of losing in an economy that continues to grow; first it was protected Uganda, then E.A of 3, now E.A of 5 and soon to be E.A of 8... But you know what these are opportunities, let me dream and see how I can get there.

Let’s not behave like tired managers shooting down ideas e.g - an enterprising young man says “Boss I have a good idea” then the boss says “Please write a contemporary concept note and professional proposals giving various scenarios/possibilities of boosting the business - then call a meeting next quarter so that we can discuss your idea... hmmmmnnn and don’t forget the budgets for the various” - creating the famous situation of “paralysis by Analysis” a common management problem.

Happy New Year all, I hope this adds to your motivations to change the world. Now I have four books to read before the end of March Yaix....

No comments: